At Got Knots Massage Therapy in Edmonton, we offer hot stone massage as a therapeutic tool to help our clients relieve muscle tension and promote relaxation. Before you schedule your hot stone massage, you may want to know what hot stone massage is, the benefits it offers, how it works as a therapeutic tool, and walk you through the process at Got Knots.
What is Hot Stone Massage?
Hot stone massage is a type of massage therapy that involves the use of warm stones that are placed on specific points of the body.
The use of hot stones for muscle relief has been practiced for thousands of years, with its origins traced back to India. The practice was called Ayurveda and involved placing stones on the body to promote relaxation and healing. The use of heated stones in massage was reborn in 1993 with the introduction of LaStone Therapy by Mary Nelson.
The stones are typically made of basalt, a type of volcanic rock, that retains heat well. The warmth of the stones helps to relax the muscles and increase blood circulation. At Got Knots, we use hot stone massage as a tool to release tension and promote relaxation.
Benefits of Hot Stone Massage
Hot stone therapy offers numerous benefits to active individuals in the community, including golfers, tennis players, hikers, gardeners, and those who engage in regular yard work.
- Relaxation of muscles: The warmth of the stones helps the muscles to relax, making the massage more effective.
- Improved circulation: The heat from the stones increases blood circulation, bringing more oxygen and nutrients to the muscles and other tissues of the body.
- Reduced stress and anxiety: The use of warmed stones promotes relaxation, which can help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Pain relief: The pressure from the stones, combined with the massage techniques, can help reduce pain levels.
Stone therapy massage offers numerous benefits to active individuals in the community, including golfers, tennis players, hikers, gardeners, and those who engage in regular yard work.
- Golfers can greatly benefit from heated stone therapy. The repetitive swinging motion and the strain placed on the muscles during a game of golf can lead to muscle tension and fatigue. Hot stone massage helps to alleviate these issues by promoting muscle relaxation, improving flexibility, and increasing blood circulation. This can result in improved swing performance, reduced risk of injuries, and an overall enhanced golfing experience.
- Tennis players often experience muscle soreness and tightness due to the quick and repetitive movements involved in the sport. Warm stone massage can be a valuable addition to their recovery routine. The heat from the stones helps to relax the muscles, reduce inflammation, and improve range of motion. Regular hot stone massage sessions can aid in injury prevention, enhance muscle recovery, and contribute to improved on-court performance.
- Hikers, gardeners, and individuals who do regular yard work often engage in physically demanding activities that can put a strain on their muscles and joints. Hot stone therapy can provide much-needed relief and relaxation for these individuals. The warm stones help to soothe tired muscles, release tension, and alleviate any discomfort caused by repetitive movements or strenuous tasks. By incorporating hot stone massage into their self-care routine, hikers, gardeners, and those who do yard work can experience improved mobility, reduced muscle soreness, and a greater sense of well-being. Additionally, Deep tissue massage helps immensely with muscle soreness and chronic pain.
Read more about our Deep Tissue Massage service.
Benefits of Hot Stone Therapy for Active Individuals:
- Promotes muscle relaxation and reduces tension
- Enhances flexibility and range of motion
- Improves blood circulation and oxygenation of muscles
- Reduces inflammation and swelling
- Aids in muscle recovery and reduces post-activity soreness
- Helps prevent injuries by promoting proper muscle function
- Enhances performance and endurance
- Provides a sense of relaxation and stress relief
- Alleviates muscle stiffness and fatigue
- Improves overall well-being and promotes a sense of balance
By incorporating hot stone therapy into their wellness routine, active individuals in the community can experience these benefits and optimize their physical performance while maintaining a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
How Hot Stone Massage Works as a Therapeutic Tool
At our massage clinic in Edmonton, we use hot stone massage as a therapeutic tool in several ways:
- Heat therapy for muscle tension: The warmth of the stones helps the muscles to relax, making them more receptive to massage and other therapeutic techniques.
- Pressure from stones to release trigger points: The therapists use the stones to apply pressure to trigger points, releasing tension and knots in the muscles.
- Direct pressure on muscles and fascia: The therapists use the stones to apply direct pressure to muscles and fascia, helping to break up adhesions and scar tissue.
Our Process for a Heated Stone Massage at Got Knots
When you come in for this type of massage at our clinic, here’s what you can expect:
- Preparing the stones: The therapists will heat up the stones in a special dry heat bag until they reach the desired temperature.
- Client consultation and positioning: The therapist will ask about your health history and any problem areas you may have. They will then have you lie face down on the massage table.
- Placement of the stones on points of the body: The therapist will place the heated stones on specific points of the body, such as your back, hands, or feet.
- Use of Swedish massage techniques with the stones: The therapist will use traditional Swedish massage techniques combined with the heated stones to help release tension and promote relaxation.
- Use of stones for therapeutic purposes during the massage: The therapist will use the stones to apply pressure to trigger points and to provide direct pressure to muscles and fascia.
Hot stone massage at Got Knots Massage Therapy is an effective and relaxing treatment for relieving muscle tension. A number of our therapists are trained in using hot stone massage as a therapeutic tool to help promote relaxation, pain relief, and overall wellness. Book your appointment today and experience the benefits of hot stone massage for yourself.