Looking for a way to soothe your aching muscles, calm your mind, and rejuvenate your body? Look no further than therapeutic massage therapy! At Got Knots Massage Edmonton, we specialize in a variety of massage techniques that are tailored to meet your specific needs and provide you with the optimal healing experience.
What is Therapeutic Massage?
Therapeutic massage is a holistic approach to healing that uses massage techniques to help relieve physical discomfort and release mental and emotional tension. A brief history of therapeutic massage therapy shows that it has been used for centuries in many cultures and was once even considered a form of medicine.
Therapeutic massage is a focused massage with a goal in mind.
Remedial massage would be another term for this type of massage as a remedy or result focused treatment where the goal is to help alleviate pain and discomfort caused by physical injury or imbalances in the body.
For example, if you have a rotator cuff strain or issue, you would likely go for a therapeutic massage. During that treatment the focus would be on the shoulder, and all the structures that are connected to the shoulder and involved with shoulder movement.
Today, it is an important practice in modern healthcare. Many health professionals recommend massage therapy for patients suffering from a variety of physical and mental health conditions, including musculoskeletal, neurological, and mental health disorders.
Techniques Used in Therapeutic Massage
At Got Knots Massage Edmonton, we specialize in a variety of massage techniques to help you achieve optimal healing. Here are just a few of the techniques we use:
- Swedish massage: a gentle, relaxing massage that is ideal for stress relief and relaxation.
- Deep tissue massage: a massage technique that is designed to reach deeper into your muscles to relieve tension and soreness.
- Trigger point therapy: a technique that uses firm pressure to work on specific areas of muscle tension.
- Myofascial release: a technique that uses gentle pressure to work on the connective tissue that surrounds your muscles.
- Aromatherapy massage: a massage technique that incorporates essential oils to enhance relaxation and reduce stress. (Note: We do not use essential oils for aromatherapy purposes at Got Knots Massage Therapy)
- Hot stone massage: a massage technique that uses heated stones to warm and relax the muscles.
- PNF stretching: a technique that combines massage with stretching to increase your range of motion and flexibility.
Swedish massage is typically used in relaxation massage and is typically a full body treatment . But also used to apply lotion and warm up the tissue and used at the end the massage of a body part. Using long and / or kneading strokes. This type of massage targets the superficial muscle and fascia layer.
Deep Tissue Massage
Deep tissue massage is typically for people that are looking for a decrease in general body tension. Similar to Swedish techniques, targeting areas of tension with firm pressure and slow strokes to massage deep layers of muscle and fascia. . Also generally a full body treatment.
Myofascial release is a technique that can be done as a stand alone treatment or as an additional technique incorporated into a therapeutic massage, deep tissue massage, relaxation, prenatal, sports massage ect. Typically applied to a focused area. Myofascial release technique can sometimes feel burn-y or pinch-y, like a “snake bite” that you gave your friend as a child by applying a wringing motion to their arm. It is a technique often done without oil as there is minimal slide on the skin. It can often seem like the therapist is ‘stuck’ in one place for a long time.
Johns Hopkins Medicine defines fascia as “a thin casing of connective tissue that surrounds and holds every organ, blood vessel, bone, nerve fiber and muscle in place. The tissue does more than provide internal structure; fascia has nerves that make it almost as sensitive as skin. When stressed, it tightens up.”
Myofascia refers specifically to fascia as it relates to muscle. The white spider web like substance in meat is fascia. It becomes a problem when/if it becomes more dense and gummed down from dehydration, lack of movement, repetitive movement, injury or surgery, among other things. Myofascial release is used when there is a thickening of the fascia.
Hot Stone Massage
Hot Stone massage is an ancient practice that uses heated stones placed on precise points along the body to create soothing pressure.
Swedish Massage with the stones is performed by rubbing the muscles with the warm stones to enhance the positive effect of relaxation and stress release.
A few of our therapists at Got Knots Massage, use the heated stones more as a therapeutic tool during a massage as heat can have therapeutic results and help to decrease muscle tension which decreases trigger points.
Also the stone itself can be used for digging pressure into trigger points and tight muscles and fascia.
Benefits of Therapeutic Massage
The benefits of therapeutic massage are numerous and varied. Here are just a few of the benefits you may experience when you receive a massage at Got Knots:
- Pain relief: massage therapy can help to relieve pain caused by chronic conditions like arthritis or injuries like whiplash.
- Improved flexibility and range of motion: massage can help to loosen tight muscles and increase your ability to move freely.
- Reduced muscle tension and stiffness: massage therapy can help to ease muscle soreness and stiffness, improving your overall sense of comfort.
Mental and Emotional Benefits
- Reduced stress and anxiety: therapeutic massage therapy can help to calm your mind and release tension, reducing stress and anxiety.
- Improved mood and relaxation: many people report feeling more relaxed and happier after receiving a therapeutic massage.
- Better sleep quality: massage therapy can help to promote deeper, more restful sleep.
Conditions Treated with Therapeutic Massage
Therapeutic massage therapy can be used to treat a wide range of physical and mental health conditions. At Got Knots, we have experience treating the following conditions:
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- High blood pressure
- Coronary artery disease
- Anxiety disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Risks and Precautions
While massage therapy is generally safe, there are some risks and precautions you should be aware of. Certain massage techniques may not be appropriate for everyone, and pregnant women and people with certain chronic health conditions may need to take extra precautions.
It is important to seek professional massage therapy services to ensure that you receive safe and effective treatment. At Got Knots, our experienced massage therapists can help you determine what type of massage is right for you.
If you’re looking for a way to soothe your aching muscles and calm your mind, therapeutic massage therapy is an excellent choice. Contact us today to schedule an appointment at Got Knots Massage Therapy Clinic and experience the healing power of therapeutic massage for yourself. We look forward to helping you achieve optimal health and wellness!