As a sports massage therapist in Edmonton, with over 20 years of experience, I’ve seen firsthand the power of massage in keeping athletes at the top of their game. Whether you’re a professional athlete or a weekend warrior, sports massage therapy can help you perform at your best and recover faster from your injuries. We can get you sleeping more comfortably, and back in the game as soon as possible.
What is Sports Massage?
Sports massage is a type of massage that is specifically designed for athletes. It can be used to prepare the body for exercise, to help prevent injuries, to aid in the recovery process after a workout or competition, and to treat injuries. Sports massage therapists use a variety of techniques, including deep tissue massage, stretching, and compression, to help improve circulation, reduce muscle tension, and promote relaxation.
Sports Massage in Edmonton
In our practice the ‘sport massage’ that we do tends to be pain management or massage to treat areas that have been taxed by the activity that the client had participated in.
The weekend warrior, the person that sits at a desk for 40 hours a week and has very limited regular activity but then goes to play a game of hockey, curling, baseball or soccer. Goes skiing for the first time in 15 years or starts golfing, goes on a hike or joins a gym one day.
These people would come in for a massage because all of a sudden things hurt that have not hurt in a long time. They are not necessarily injured, but have some delayed onset of muscle soreness also known as the DOMS effect from the lactic acid that is in their muscles.
Treatment for this type of sports injury is more geared around flushing tissue. Long soothing strokes towards the heart to promote circulation (Swedish Massage Therapy), stretching and movement encouragement for the same reasons.
On occasion, someone participating in sports might become injured.
Someone will take a spill into the boards and hurt their lower back or get cross checked which could cause a shoulder injury or a whiplash type injury, or roll their ankle rounding a base or twist funny and strain or tear their anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).
In these instances, massage goals become about rehab.
Depending on how fresh or acute the injury is will dictate the type of treatment. whether treatment is performed directly on the injured area or if we are working on compensating structures, if the treatment is geared towards circulation and drainage or directly working on adhesions and scar tissue to assist in creating strong flexible scars with optimal movement and circulation.
Types of Sports Massage
There are several types of sports massage, each with its own unique benefits. Here are a few of the most common types:
- Deep Tissue Massage: This type of massage uses deep pressure to release tension in the muscles and connective tissues.
- Swedish Massage: Swedish massage uses long strokes, kneading, and circular movements to help relax and energize the body.
- Trigger Point Therapy: This type of massage focuses on specific areas of the body that are causing pain or discomfort.
- Myofascial Release: Myofascial release is a type of massage that is designed to release tension in the fascia, which is the connective tissue that surrounds the muscles and organs.
Benefits of Sports Massage
The benefits of sports massage are many and varied. Here are just a few of the ways that this specific form of massage can help athletes:
- Prevent Injuries: Regular massage can help prevent injuries by keeping muscles flexible and reducing the risk of strains, sprains, and other injuries.
- Improve Performance: Massage can help improve performance by increasing circulation, improving range of motion, and reducing muscle tension.
- Speed Up Recovery: After a workout or competition, sports massage can help speed up recovery by reducing muscle soreness, improving circulation, and promoting relaxation.
- Reduce Stress: Sport massage can be a great way to reduce stress and promote relaxation, both of which are important for athletes who are under a lot of pressure to perform.
Marathons, Triathletes, Iron Man Competitors or Survival Races
We also work on more serious athletes. People who train for months or years to participate in a marathon, triathlon, bike race, iron man or obstacle course / survival races. When working with someone who demands performance from their body
Common sports that we treat for are running and biking, and not necessarily injuries but for maintenance, or tension that training for a marathon or triathlon or bike race.
Physical Activities that Benefit from Massage
Massage can be beneficial for athletes in many different sports. Here are just a few of the sports that can benefit from sports massage, along with the types of injuries that can be treated with massage:
- Running: Running can put a lot of stress on the muscles and joints, which can lead to injuries such as shin splints, plantar fasciitis, and IT band syndrome.
- Cycling: Cycling can cause tightness in the hips, lower back, and legs, which can lead to injuries such as lower back pain, IT band syndrome, and knee pain.
- Basketball: Basketball can be hard on the knees and ankles, which can lead to injuries such as ankle sprains and knee pain.
- Soccer: Soccer can cause a lot of stress on the muscles and joints, which can lead to injuries such as hamstring strains, groin pulls, and ankle sprains.
- Football: Football can be hard on the body, with injuries such as concussions, knee injuries, and shoulder injuries being common.
- Tennis: Tennis can cause tightness in the shoulders, arms, and back, which can lead to injuries such as tennis elbow and shoulder pain.
- Golf: Golf can cause tightness in the hips, lower back, and shoulders, which can lead to injuries such as lower back pain, golfer’s elbow, and shoulder pain. Massage can be particularly helpful for golfers, as it can help improve range of motion and flexibility, which are crucial for a good golf swing. In addition to treating injuries, sports massage can also help golfers improve their game by increasing circulation, reducing muscle tension, and promoting relaxation.
- Swimming: Swimming is a low-impact sport that is great for overall fitness, but it can still lead to injuries such as shoulder impingement and lower back pain. Sports massage can be effective in treating these types of injuries by improving range of motion and reducing muscle tension.
- Martial Arts: Martial arts can put a lot of stress on the body, with injuries such as sprains, strains, and bruises being common. Massage can be helpful in reducing pain and promoting healing, as well as improving flexibility and range of motion.
- Hockey: Hockey is a high-impact sport that can lead to a variety of injuries, including sprains, strains, and concussions. Massage can be an effective way to treat these injuries, as well as improve circulation, reduce muscle tension, and promote relaxation.
- Dragon Boat Racing: Dragon boat racing is definitely a full-body workout that can be hard on the muscles and joints. Injuries such as lower back pain, shoulder pain, and tendonitis are common. Sports massage can be effective in treating these types of injuries by improving circulation, reducing muscle tension, and promoting relaxation.
Sports Massage Near Me in Edmonton – YES, we can help!
As you can see, there are many types of injuries either temporary or more substantial that could help from the services of a sports massage therapist in Edmonton. Please contact us to book an appointment and one of our staff will be assigned to your session.